- 900g (2lb) lean Scotch Beef stewing steak, cut into 1.25cm (1/2 ") cubes
- 15ml (1tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 150g (6oz) button mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 30ml (2tbsp) tomato puree
- 15ml (1tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 150ml (1/4 pt) red wine
- 500ml (1pt) beef stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 150g (6oz) button onions, peeled
- 250g (10oz) self raising flour
- 100g (4oz) suet
- 45ml (3tbsp) fresh parsley, chopped
- 15ml (1tbsp) fresh thyme, chopped
- 50g (2oz) fresh mushrooms, finely chopped or dried mushrooms soaked in warm water for 20 minutes
- 250ml (1/2 pt) cold milk
- Heat the oil in a pan and seal the beef. Add the chopped onion, celery, mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the crushed garlic, tomato puree, vinegar and red wine.
- Reduce, then add the beef stock, thyme and button onions and simmer on a low heat for 1.5 - 2 hours. Or place in a casserole dish and cook at Gas mark 4, 180C, 350F.
- Mushroom Dumplings: Sift the flour, add the suet, parsley and thyme. Add mushrooms and milk to flour mixture and mix to a soft dough, taking care not to over mix. Flour your hands and form the mixture into thumb sized dumplings. Drop them into simmering casserole and cook, uncovered for 10 - 12 minutes.
Serve with whole baby carrots.