- Lean Scotch Beef rib eye or sirloin steak
- Black peppercorns
- Dried red chilli flakes
- Mustard seeds
- Creole BBQ Sauce
- Pineapple juice
- Tomato ketchup
- Mango chutney
- Cider vinegar
- Fruity Fennel Slaw
- Crush together (either using a pestle & mortar, or bowl and wooden spoon) 10ml (2tsp) black peppercorns, 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) dried chilli flakes, 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) mustard seeds and coat each side of 2 lean thick rib eye steaks.
- Creole BBQ Sauce: Add to a saucepan 200ml carton of pineapple juice, 15ml (1tbsp) tomato ketchup, 30ml (2tbsp) mango chutney, 15ml (1tbsp) cider vinegar, bring to the boil and simmer to reduce for about 10 minutes or until thickened and syrupy.
- Fruity Fennel Slaw: Peel, de-seed and slice 1 mango, and 1 papaya fruit, place in a bowl. Take ½ fennel bulb, finely sliced and plunge into boiling water and then cold, drain, add this to the fruit mixture along with the juice of ½ lime and 15ml (1tbsp) mint, chopped.
- Mix this all together and chill.
- Cook steaks on a preheated grill, griddle or barbecue.
Serve steak with a dipping bowl of the Creole BBQ sauce and a large spoonful of fruity fennel slaw.