- 900g (2lb) lean Scotch Beef braising steak, cut into 2.5cm (1") cubes
- 75ml (3fl oz) Worcestershire sauce
- 15ml (1tbsp) oil
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 500ml (1pt) beef stock
- 25g (1oz) plain flour
- 4 rashers lean back bacon, cut into strips
- 1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, peppercorns, parsley)
- 5 baby leeks, washed and left whole
- 2 celery sticks, cut into chunks
- Temperature: Gas Mark 4, 180C, 350F
- Marinate beef in Worcestershire sauce overnight covered in the fridge. Drain off excess juices before frying (reserve juice).
- Heat oil in casserole dish and fry onion and bacon. Add marinated beef and flour and mix well.
- Add all remaining ingredients and cook in preheated oven for 1.5 - 2 hours or until meat is tender. Check seasoning.
Serve on a large pile of mashed potato drizzled with lots of gravy.