- Lean Scotch Beef sirloin, fillet or rump steaks
Rare - Seared outside, 2½ mins each side. 75% red centre. Internal temp: 30-51°C.
Medium Rare - Seared outside, 3-4 mins each side. 50% red centre. Internal temp: 57-63°C.
Medium - Seared outside, 4 mins each side. 25% pink centre. Internal temp: 63-6°C.
Medium Well - 5 mins each side. Slight hint of pink. Internal temp: 72-77°C.
Well Done - 6 mins each side. 100% brown throughout. Internal temp: 77°C +.
The best steak is often the simplest. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt, a pinch of fresh or dried herbs and some freshly ground black pepper onto the steak just before serving. Grill some tomatoes while cooking the steak or be indulgent and drop a half tsp of olive oil into the centre of a large flat mushroom (1 per portion), fill the centre of the mushroom with a garlic and herb cheese then bake at 180°C, 360°F, gas Mark 4-5 until the mushroom is soft and the cheese topping, golden and bubbly.
Here are some other accompaniments, that could go equally well with Scotch Lamb or pork steaks or even grilled white fish or salmon for those meat free days.
- Lemon and Parsley Butter
- 100g (4oz) lightly salted butter, softened, 1tsp finely grated lemon zest 1½tbsp lemon juice 3tbsp finely chopped parsley, freshly ground pepper.
- Blend together, shape into a cylinder and roll up. Chill until needed (will keep for 4 days) and slice.
- Goats Cheese Butter
- 100g goats cheese, softened 100g unsalted butter, softened 1tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped 1tbsp fresh basil, roughly torn.
- Blend together, shape in a cylinder and roll up. Chill until needed (will keep for 4 days) and slice.