- 500g minced Scotch Beef
- 1 onion, peeled and diced/chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 small stick of celery, diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 600ml beef stock
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
- In a broad based pan over a medium heat, fry the diced vegetables in the oil for about 5 minutes until softened but not brown, then increase the heat, add the meat to the pan and fry until it is well browned, about 8-10 minutes.
- When the meat is browned, slightly reduce the heat then sprinkle the flour over the meat and veg and stir for a couple of minutes to cook the flour.
- Add the stock, Worcester sauce, salt and pepper. Stir while the sauce comes gently to the boil and begins to thicken. Simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes adding more stock as necessary, until everything is tender.
Serve the mince in shallow bowls with buttered mash or boiled potatoes and a twist of black pepper.